Re: Dreydlekh Question

 The dreidel (note more common spelling; also dreidelach is plural) is a
top. The
symbols are Hebrew letters: Nun, Gimel, Hay, and Shin. The letters stand
for the words Nes Gadol Haya Sham, which means A Great Miracle Happened
There, referring to the miracle of the oil which lasted for 8 days about
164 B.C.E. for which we celebrate Chanuka today. When you play dreidel,
you start with a kitty of stuff (nuts, pennies, whatever) and everybody
has a few in their own pile. When you spin, if it lands on Gimel, you take
the whole pot (Gimel stands for "ganse" in Yiddish which means all). If it
lands on Hay, you take half the pot (Hay stands for "halb" in Yiddish
which means half). If it lands on Nun you take none (Nun stands for "nein"
in Yiddish which means none). If it lands on Shin you have to put one in
(ante) and I forgot what the Yiddish word that starts with Shin is!
Whoever collects all the stuff is the winner

Note to author: William, I tried to email you directly but my letter was
returned as author unknown. .  Happy Chanuka to you, Merry
whatever holiday you do celebrate, have a Happy New Year, and if you need
more answers, I'd be happy to help. Go Blue!
 ---Caren

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->