Re: Dreydlekh Question

None of the posts seem to have addressed the answer in a way that will help
the (non-Jewish) questioner.

How can he play the game if he doesn't know a nun from a shin?

_

_| Nun  stands for "Nes" - a miracle

 _

 _| Gimmel stands for "Gadol" - Great
/  \

_____

|    |
|    |
|    |
|    | Heh stands for "Hayah" - Happened

|  |  |
|  |  | Shin stands for "Sham" - There. Note that some Dreydels
 \_|__/                                 notably Istaeli versions replace the
                                        Shin with a Peh standinf for "Po"
                                        meaning 'Here' as opposed to 'there'

                                         ____
                                        |    |
                                        |__  |

                                         ____| Peh stand for "Po" - Here

The significace of the dreidle to the festival of chanukah lies in its use
during the greek occupation of ancient israel as a ruse. The
greeks thought that Jews were gathering in gambling dens (an occupation
approved of by the Hellenists) In reality they were engaged in prayer and
the study of Torah that had been banned by the occupying powers. When the Greek
soldiers knocked on the door, the books went away and the dreidels came out.

Chag Orim Sameach

"Happy Festival of lights"

@u.washington.edu) writes:
>This is similar to the way in which Hershel of Ostropol outsmarts one of
>the goblins in the story by Eric Kimmel _Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins_
>The game according to Hershel:
>
>Shin = you give me a handful of gold.
>Hay  = you give me half your gold.
>Gimel = you give me all your gold.
>Nun = I don't give you anything.
>
>Hag Sameach.
>
>On 23 Dec 1995, Maxwell St wrote:
>
>> Nun (from Hebrew "Nes") = You get nothing
>> Gimmel ("Gadol") = you have to give me everything
>> Hey ("Haya") = I get half
>> Shin ("Sham") = You don't get anything
>>
>> Just joking!
>>

>> Lori Lippitz (MaxwellSt)

"The whole world is a very narrow bridge - the important thing
is not to be be afraid"

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->