Re: Noa (fwd)

Responding to my post:

Alana Suskin writes:

>> I have to disagree with this post. I picked up a copy of a promo album
>> she put out thinking it would be something Ofra Haza-ish (as was
>> suggested by someone on this list) and instead got syrupy bland American
>> Pop (some of it with Hebrew lyrics) and I wonder if she's Jewish since
>> her last song was an AveMaria.

Richard adds:

>She sung with the pope in Rome even worse then that in front of thousands of
>catholic's.

Noa wrote the words to Ave Maria; the music is the Bach-Gunoud "Ave Maria,"
arranged for guitar by Gil Dor.  They wanted to express a hope for peace
using Christian imagery for a very simple reason.  The song was written
during the Gulf War, quickly recorded and put on a few cassettes, and then
given to the American soldiers who were manning the Patriot missile
batteries.

This doesn't make her less Jewish, and I can't even comprehend why singing
a message of peace anywhere makes her a bad Jew ("even worse?").  C'mon,
guys!

Regarding Alana's criticism of the music:

Noa has certainly had to fight labels!  When she came to Chapel Hill in
1993 (I was working for Hillel at the time, and helped to arrange the
performance), the school newspaper decided on the basis of her cover of
"Material Girl" to label her "Madonna of the Middle East."  Of course, lots
of people want her to be an Ofra Haza clone.  I think she describes her
influences as American Jazz and pop, Yemenite, and Israeli pop.

No doubt that her "American" disc (Noa) is not as deep as the second
Israeli, though I don't know if I'd go as far as calling it "syrupy bland
American pop."  It has some very special tracks, including "Wildflower,"
"Mishaela," "Uri," and (in spite of the previous post) "Ave Maria."  But,
if you really want to hear her best stuff, get the second Israeli disc.
For an "Ofra Haza-ish" Noa tune, try out track 6 on the third album,
"Nocturno."

One final note.  Noa is really best appreciated live.  She's warm, funny,
and has a great stage presence.

Larry

Larry and Alanna Bach
landabach (at) cinternet(dot)net