Re: Jewish Music in the synagogue-hazzanim

Lyle Lexier writes:

 >    My orthodox synagogue, Scharei Tzedek and also the local Vancouver
        Chabad House have always both had canters.  It always surprises me that
synagogues are becoming more and more like churches, where they just
pray in mainly English and sing songs.  BUT not orthodox synagogues.
All for now,
  Lyle
I think that what is happening in many orthodox shuls is almost as bad.
MY REPLY:

There is so much "appikorsus" (sorry for the poor transliteration) in many
orthodox shuls that I fear that knowledge of nusah will be lost.

yes, of course, the words are the most important thing. Nevertheless,
in reform and conservative shuls, with professional cantors, one is more
apt to hear the correct nusah, with all its subtlties (sp?), despite the
fact the the services may contain altered text.

Singing of "songs" is a problem across the board, but in my experience,
orthodox shuls have songs and ditties for almost everything. This is
generally inappropriate for the texts.  What an ortho shul might ditty
away (Uni-taneh tokef, for instance), one may hear a reform cantor sing
beautiful nusah and chant.

The main point is that we must not lose tradition nusah in our orthodox
communities.  These communities must be educated and hopefully
come to appreciate jewish litergical music, as presented in an
accurate and traditional manner.

--
bri (at) panix(dot)com
"How to learn how to sing, Rule #1: There is always tomorrow..."

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->