Re: Music in the Synagogue - Hazzanim

bri (at) panix(dot)com (Brian Shanblatt) writes:

>I would be interested in hearing people's views about professional
>hazzanim in Orthodox synagogues.  I find it quite disturbing that so few
>orthodox shuls have hazzanim, and the level of davenin, in terms of
>acurate nusah is diminishing.  Too often, inappropriate tunes are being
>applied to the litergy, and the same, generic chants are being used
>throughout the service.

>How many of jewish.music readers attend shuls without hazzanim?
>If your shul doesn't have one, what are the reasons? Finances, or
>negative feeelings toward the professional hazzan, or whatever?

>PLease post or email!

>--
>bri (at) panix(dot)com
>"How to learn how to sing, Rule #1: There is always tomorrow..."

Hello everyone,
     My orthodox synagogue, Scharei Tzedek and also the local Vancouver
Chabad House have always both had canters.  It always surprises me that
synagogues are becoming more and more like churches, where they just
pray in mainly English and sing songs.  BUT not orthodox synagogues.
All for now,
  Lyle

--
|  Lyle Lexier            | Simon Fraser University                     |
|  lexier (at) sfu(dot)ca          | Major in Computing Science (4th year)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->