Re: ...while driving...

>People who pronounce klezmer, "klayzmer" are mistaken.  Similarly,

        One of the problems about these kinds of discussions is that
folklore and colloquialisms become the area of "experts" and a dogma
evolves, usually with narishkeit being the central theme.  As the late Saul
Loeberman used to say: "nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense-
that becomes academia..."

        My parents are native Yiddish speakers, and I grew up around
Yiddish speakers.  Saying Klayzmer is entirely appropriate if you are a
Galicianer, and perhaps if you are a Hungarian as well.  And as a strike
against all you Litvaks, when I coached Rob Morrow for the Northern
Exposure episode, of course I gave him a Galicianer accent (although it
didn't quite come out that way... and there were some political reasons
involved- we preferred to have him say "guy krigen" rather than "gay
krigen").

       So back to the music, and let's not get elitist about what
essentially is just wedding music...
                                   mark h kirschbaum, m.d.
                                   mkirschb (at) fred(dot)fhcrc(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->