Markets for Jewish music

        I am a student at a major American university.
To answer you question about having a market to
your music in the U.S., all I can say is it
depends on how good your music really is.  There
are many Jewish people in the U.S., and if your
music is good, I see no problem in your selling it.

        I am not personall Jewish, but I have many friends
who are, and I am personally interested in the culture
and the music.  My roommate, a Sweedish national,
knows by heart a lot of this type of music.  Perhaps
Sweeden is also a possibility.  In any case, I wish
you luck.

By the way, I am trying to find some typical Jewish
songs on sheet music so I can play them on the piano
and sing them.  Would you have any ideas?  If so, or
if you just want someone to write to, please write me.
It would be a pleasure hearing from you.

Until then, I wish you well, and will expect an E-mail letter
from you soon.

Bye!

>From: Mike Lowy <lowy (at) jerusalem1(dot)datasrv(dot)co(dot)il>
>Subject:Markets for Jewish music
>Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 12:10:37 GMT

>Hello there,

>   I've just started on this list and am writing in, in the hope that someone
>out there can help me rid myself of years of musical frustration.

>My musical background is that I'm a semi-amateur musician experienced in
>keyboards, bass, vocals and guitar. Although rusty and far-from
>mechanically brilliant at any of these today, I have spent a lot of time
>song-writing, and have drawers full of unheard material. (My deeper
>background is that my musically-formative years were the early to mid-
>sixties, and as a result the music I create (??) tends to be heavily
>influenced by Good Old [British] Rock 'n' Roll, Rhythm'n'Blues etc. on one
>hand, and by Jewish hassidic/liturgical idioms on the other).

>Although I'd define myself as broadly Orthodox, I don't feel too
>comfortable doing "exhibisionist-dveikus" (my own term) and prefer to use
>a neo-hassidic musical idiom around Jewish national and cultural themes,
>rather than purely religious ones. For example, I did quite well in a
>somewhat obscure song contest in Leeds, England recently with a song about
>the Yiddish language. I also have a collection of songs on such themes as
>enjoying being part of the Jewish People, Jerusalem, the Holocaust etc.
>Most are more funny than serious, but some are quite hard. BTW, Although I
>live in Israel, I mainly write in English. Also BTW, I earn my living
>working for the Jewish Agency. Music is purely an avenue of creative
>recreation (at least so far).

>My question is as follows: I'm considering spending some hard-earned money
>on making a demo of some of this stuff I've written, with the intention
>of selling it. Does anybody out there know if there's a market of
>tape-buyers of English language Klezmer-Rock songs on Jewish not-
>necessarily-religious themes? Who writes/performs stuff for them today? Who
>can I contact (on-or off the net) for some wisdom on this?

>Appealing to all you worthies for some New Year goodwill, and the benefit
>of your knowledge and experience, I look forward with bated breath to some
>replies...

>Happy TaShNa"D

>Mike Lowy
><lowy (at) jerusalem1(dot)datasrv(dot)co(dot)il>

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->