hanashir

[HANASHIR:15227] Re: High Holy Day choices

Hi folks,

As someone who sits in the pews for services, it has been interesting to
follow this conversation. Our Reform synagogue, which has moved more and more
participatory music throughout the year, tends to be very "classical" on the
HHD - complete with professional choir. For me, and others, it can be less than
satisfying. There are moments where I do appreciate the time to just sit back
and reflect, but for the most part I find myself very disconnected from the
service because even if the liturgy being sung is something I know, it is seen
as a time that I am expected to listen to, not worship.

So, though someone posted that perhaps it is the community is different for
the HHD (with the 2x/year worshippers), I would pose that perhaps the music
chosen keeps those who are attending for the first time in a while from feeling
connected and wanting to come back.

Many contemporary pieces not only offer more "singable" melodies but they
also offer more English, and English in a form that for some people, allows
them
for the first time to understand and connect to the prayers - seeing them as
relevant, not just words to say.

Just another perspective,

Iris Petroff
Program Director