hanashir

[HANASHIR:15107] UAHC Congregations and The "Union"

Chevrei:

After many postings that seem to properly address both
the issue and the emotions behind the issue, let's
continue to remain sensitive to each other. I kind of
like the tone so far, but there is great potential to
lash out at individuals who stand on both sides of the
Cantorate and the Soloist camps.

I am constantly amazed by the professionalism and
level of proficiency demonstrated by the soloists and
musicians who dot this listserv. Let's face it: you
are in the trenches doing the work that is both
necessary, and which gives us great "naches." There
are many soloists who have been working in the
trenches much longer than I have been serving
congregations, and there are many cantors who are
fairly out of touch with some of the more contemporary
music that is melting into our repetoires. But when it
comes to the question of what is "done" verses what is
"appropriately done," I still have to examine further.

A rabbi on this listserv points out quite correctly
that it is common practice for a congregation to go
outside of the "union" and hire a person to meet their
needs both musically and monitarily. What I am very
currious to know is this: would they consider doing
the same thing when it comes to hiring a rabbi? Would
any of us support the rabbic authority of someone who
is steeped in the study of Torah and Talmud, a
"bucher" if you will, and call him "Rabbi" when he or
she has not attended rabbinic seminary of some kind?
I'm not asking if this person is a rav, or capable of
being a "teacher" or learned one, but "Rabbi?"

The title of cantor deserves no less consideration.
I'm not going to get into the very well-addressed
issue of schooling and the need for seminaries to
assert their control. I'm also not ever going to
challenge someone's experience as a musician. But as
we have learned from Cantor Eric's posting, the
cantorate is changing and has changed to accomodate
much more of the need for clergy who use music as
their tool. That's a big part of my own personal
definition of a cantor, and something that I strive to
live up to daily. I use music as my tool to convey the
spirit of Judaism both present and past to mold our
futures.

As long as the need for clergy exists, and the
congregations pay very high MUM dues to be a part of
the Union and support its seminaries, I would hope
that the congregations would consider making the
aquisition of a cantor a very high priority. And when
this is not possible for what ever reason, that they
would still try to hire a cantorial soloist with every
bit of passion and skill that a cantor should possess.
According to UAHC rules and regulations, a
congregation is allowed to call its soloist "cantor"
only when its board takes the action to do so. A
soloist may not simply call  themselves cantor. A
congregation must take steps to do this appropriately.
However, if they are publishing anything that may
contain the word and title "cantor" that will reach
the hands and eyes of other UAHC congregations, such
as in the instance of Community Shabbaton, a Biennial,
or Kallah, a UAHC congregation regardless of their
board's actions may not publicize their having a
"cantor" unless that individual is a graduate of some
formal and recognized training. Many congregations and
individuals overstep their bounds when it comes to
this, and I think that's what Cantor Eric was
addressing when he mentioned the CCAR resolution in
honor of the cantorate.

As individuals, we must take steps to preserve the
very title we covet so dearly, and not water it down
upon anyone who feels they have met some sort of
personal requirement. I'm talking about swallowing
some pride and doing what is appropriate rather than
perpetuating a wrong simply because it is done and is
accepted. This is very difficult to consider doing,
for many are too far gone. But nonetheless, please be
aware of what is allowed by UAHC congregations. If you
do not serve a UAHC congregation, I beg of you to use
your best jugement and follow your hearts.

In the spirit of the upcomming New Year, let us all
work for renewwal and rededication to our common
goals.

B'shirah,

Cantor Brad Hyman
Temple Sinai of Glendale

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->