hanashir

[HANASHIR:14150] Re: Achshav! Achshav! B'emek Yizrael

Thanks to you and Nell. I had figured some of this out by myself, but
along the way discovered another version from a workshop with Robyn
Helzner I went to recently:

Shalom, Shalom, l'eretz Yisrael (2x)
[Hey! Shiru (3x) l'eretz Yisrael] 2x

So I (w/input from my 14-yr. old who helps me teach every Sunday) decided
to go with that one.

Thanks again,
Amy

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:20:04 -0700 Cantor Brad Hyman
<cantorb (at) pacbell(dot)net> writes:
> Okay, here's the skinny:
>
> There are two accepted versions of this song, of which one was
> actually
> written and the other bastardized (but effective).
>
> Achshav! Achshav! B'emek Yizrael )2x
> Hoy, tumba, tumba, tumba! B'emek Yizrael) 2x
>
> "Now, now in the Jezri'el Valley! Hoy, tumba, tumba, tumba in the
> Jezri'el
> Valley."
>
> The Jezri'el Valley is one of the most lush in the Gallilee, and the
> reason
> is because of the efforts of the Chalutzim or pioneers who cleaned
> it out
> from malaria infested swamp land into wonderful farm land.
>
> The other version of the song substitutes "emek Yizrael" with "Eretz
> Yisrael" or the "Land of Israel." The only reason I suspect this was
> done is
> because when well-meaning folk tried to take this song back from
> Israel to
> teach in the States, they misheard the words for something they
> understood.
> Who knows?
>
> Hope this is timely enough,
>
> Cantor Brad Hyman