hanashir

[HANASHIR:14135] music theory- ANYTHING BUT PRACTICA MUSICA!!!!!!!

Hi I just took my last ear training exam for the rest of my life (thank GOD!).
In less than one
week, I will officially complete the two-year (four-semester)
sightsinging/eartraining and theory
curriculums at Florida State University's School of Music.  I just had to write:

ANYTHING BUT PRACTICA MUSICA

The theory department changed administration half-way through my time in
Sightsinging/Eartraining and introduced Practica Musica as a required program.
Not one of
my fellow students likes it.  Not one of them feels it helps.  As a
procrastinator doing the
entire semester's assignments at this very moment, it is the bane of my
existence.  And I feel
my ear has gotten worse using it because it's so confusing.  The levels are
messed up so that
you can spend hours and never pass, and, what's worse, the MIDI is so terrible
that you can't
tell what you're listening to!  I can't tell major from minor on that program,
and I've never made
less than an A in the class.  The chord progressions are non-sensical, you can
only hear the
middle note and there is no voice leading.

So what would I recommend?
Get a tutor, as Adrian said, and one who plays piano well.  We use a book
called Listen and
Sing.  I heard that you can buy it with tapes with the melodic and harmonic
dictations and
that they're pretty useful.  I like the book.  The "Quick Switch" section helps
to isolate more
difficult rhythms and melodic elements in a way that makes you forget that what
you're
singing is hard.  And it uses real melodies as opposed to some books that make
up ugly and
random tunes simply to get the augmented sixth accross.

Good luck.  Aural skills are tough, but good to have.

Callie Maidhof
Tallahassee, Florida

As you wander on through life
Keep your eye upon the donut...