hanashir

[HANASHIR:14112] RE: My top 5 favorite CD's

Adrian, Steve, and everyone:

I think it's a great idea for us to share what we're listening to and like.
I'm not ranking these.  I'm just saying I really enjoy this music, and
whether we use it or not with our congregations, it's great stuff.  I'll
further go out on a limb and say that some of the most innovative Jewish
music is coming from the Orthodox world.  I'm a faithful "JM in the AM"
listener here in the NY Metro area and, quite honestly, my musical world has
been rocked by some of these artists.  And my Reform congregation LOVES the
tunes that I choose to share with them.

That said, here is my list:

1.  Anything by D'veykus.  Abie Rotenberg is a gifted melodist and his Lecha
Dodi is sung all over the Reform world.  In fact, I first heard it at Camp
Harlam.

2.  Anything by Yehudah.  Celtic-tinged melodies, guitars, tin whistles, you
name it.  Utterly gorgeous.

3.  Gotta check out that a cappella world!  Beat'achon (their second CD,
"Soul Food," still blows me away after 3 years), The Chevra (great a cappella
renditions of Carlebach tunes), Lev Tahor, Daniel Henkin's amazing
arrangements for his Queens College group Tizmoret.  It's an entire universe
unto itself.

Those are my current "Top of the Pops."  If any of these names sound new or
unfamiliar, I strongly urge you to check 'em out!

Moadim l'simcha!
Cantor Anna Ott

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->