hanashir

[HANASHIR:14103] RE: Music Theory and Ear Training Software

Steve:

I just can't, in good conscience, recommend the study of solfege or musical
theory on one's own. This is an area for which there is simply no substitute
for learning from a good teacher.

That being said, if you're serious about using software to do this, stay
away from the low-end products, shareware, etc., and shell out the bucks for
something high-end like Rising's Auralia and Musition, or Ars Nova
Software's Practica Music (I think it's up to Version 4 and costs around
$125.00) There's been some buzz about MiBAC Software's Music Lessons I &II
lately, although I think it's more geared to younger learners. Many of the
products used in schools (like Harmonic Vision's Music Ace series) just
aren't suited for adult learning. Personally, I think you might find
Practica Music 4 more suited to adult tastes than Auralia and Musition.

Hope this helps.

Chag kasher v'sameach,

Adrian

Adrian A. Durlester, MTS
E-mail: adrian (at) durlester(dot)com  URL:www.durlester.com
Director of Education, Beth El Hebrew Congregation, Alexandria, VA
education(dot)director (at) bethelhebrew(dot)org
Co-Director, Hazamir/JTAI Choir of Greater DC
Past Conf Chair, CAJE 27, August 4-8, 2002, Trinity University, San Antonio,
TX
List Owner, hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org; Jewish Songleaders/Performers List
Co-Owner, l-torah (at) shamash(dot)org; Liberal Torah Discussion List