hanashir

[HANASHIR:12344] Re: question on words. one word, actually.

A few weeks ago, I promised to look up the passage from the Gemara related
to this issue.

I finally remembered!

The Gemara writes (at the bottom of 35a in Shavuos)  (note: I'm going to
insert a dash '-' into all the words, and also add comments in brackets []
and translations in parentheses () -- I hope that doesn't make it too
complicated):

"There are the names [of G-d] that may not be erased: for example E-l,
E-lohecha, E-lohim, E-loheichem, Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh, [the name that starts
with] Alef-Dalet, [the name that is spelled] Yud, Heh [etc], Sh-addai, and
Tz-evaos."

There is a variant text of the above with also includes the two letter word
that is spelled Yud-Heh.

Futher, the above words with other endings also are included (e.g.,
E-loheinu, etc.)

I will add that the commentaries say that the last four (including the one
that is spelled with Alef-Dalet) are indeed actual names of G-d.

Also: sometimes A-donai simply means "my master".  When it dose, it may be
erased if it carries that other meaning.

FYI,

-- Sholom