hanashir

[HANASHIR:5354] RE: need for Jewish music

great idea Iris - at the day school where my kids go and where I teach part
time, they discourage individual chanukah and year end presents for teachers.
 Instead, they collect money from each family (it's not required, but most
give it happily) and at chanukah the teachers use the money to buy stuff for
the classroom and at year end each teacher gets "galleria gold" (like a gift
certificate that can be used in any store at the Galleria mall)  The teachers
are not told which parents (if any) don't contribute and no child has to feel
"outshined" by classmates who come bearing lavish gifts for teachers.
not exactly related to music, but I think a nice suggestion for anyone
working in a school...dayschool, especially.

Raquel Gershon
Dallas