hanashir

[HANASHIR:5273] Re: minor/major? or something else?

----------
>From: Ruth Levenstein <RuthEllen (at) ibm(dot)net>
>To: Jewish Songleading/Music <hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org>, Shel Levenstein
<shel (at) ibm(dot)net>
>Subject: [HANASHIR:5272] minor/major? or something else?
>Date: Sat, Feb 19, 2000, 9:58 AM
>
> So here is my question.  The musical score in the back of the
> book is written in the key of A BUT all of the G notes are
> naturalized which leads me (a musical ammeter) to think it is
> in the key of D.  I can't figure this out.

Ruth,

In the key of A, there are three sharps....F, C, and G. If a piece is
written in the key of A, the key signature which is at the beginning of the
music, will indicate these three sharps. Therefore when there is an F, C, or
G in the music, it is understood that these notes, even though they don't
have the sharp sign next to them, are played as sharps. However, in order to
cancel the sharp for any of these notes in any given place in the score, the
note must have a natural next to it. In that measure, the note will be
played as a natural, not sharped, even if it occurs again in that measure.
However, as soon as you get to the next measure, the note automatically
becomes sharped again, even though there is no sharp sign next to it. It is
always sharp because of the sharp in the key signature, except in a given
measure where the natural sign cancels the sharp.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Ellen Allard
Worcester, MA
http://www.peterandellen.com