hanashir

[HANASHIR:5272] minor/major? or something else?

>         Minor modes have been used in Jewish music since the
> very beginning.

OK.  I'll jump in here with a question I have about the new UAHC
Torah Cantillation materials.

I have mine now and I think they are wonderful.  I learned all
sorts of interesting things that I didn't know before.  I LOVE
that one gets to hear two voices on the CD which reinforces the
notion that personal styles can vary.  Cantor Portnoy seems to
really be having fun on the CD which is great.  It lightens the
mood and makes the whole thing more accessible I think.  Despite
the fact that both Cantor Wolf and Portnoy are fine musical
talents I think the material is very accessible to the ordinary
joe shmo.  (jane shmo in my case.)  The best thing about them
is that they cost a mere $20!  Todah Rabah to everyone who
contributed to this project.

So here is my question.  The musical score in the back of the
book is written in the key of A BUT all of the G notes are
naturalized which leads me (a musical ammeter) to think it is
in the key of D.  I can't figure this out.

So.  On the copyright thing.  I had my first class last week and
I copied two pages out of the UAHC Booklet for my students.  I assume
I broke the copyright laws doing so.  One of the pages was just
a list of the names of all the parshot with their verses.  Well,
that is common knowledge which I could have found in any number
of places OR could have produced myself.  But I didn't, I copied
it out of the UAHC Cantillation booklet.  The second was the chart
with all of the trope symbols.  I could have made my own, or I
could have used one stolen! from another source but I used this
chart mostly because I am planning to tell my students all about
the UAHC materials and encourage those who want to learn more to
buy them.  I am also taking care to make what we learn in class
to be consistent with these materials so that they could buy them
and use them without too much "but that's not how I learned it'
anxiety.

That's all I'll end up using.  I am producing my own sheet music
designed to be easier for us musical dummies and my own tapes using
drills with the trope names.  In the past I've used the drills
from the Chadish Media materials but I think I'll end up producing
my own drills for this class.  Now if I did use the Chadish drills
I would do so with no intention of recommending the materials to my
students.  Does that make it worse?  Does it matter that I have
only 6 students?  What if I had 60?

I think the answer is that I have to secure permission to use these
things if and when I ever teach a second trope class but I am not sure.

Ruth

--
Ruth Levenstein                      øúñàå äùî úá úéìéì úåø
RuthEllen (at) ibm(dot)net

http://geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/7801/