hanashir

[HANASHIR:5274] Re: minor/major? or something else?

Hang with me here, Ruth.  I haven't seen the publication up close yet--so
know that I'm dealing purely with the information you're giving.  If someone
else who has seen the notation could clarify the details, I'd be grateful.

I would be willing to guess that you're dealing with a kind of modal
notation rendered in Western notation.  In other words, the set of notes
you're dealing with (a Torah trop mode, right?) likely contains what in
Western notation would be a flatted seventh (that is, half a step down from
a "normal" seventh scale degree in major).  At the same time, the people who
wrote the notation out want to make sure you know that the *central tone* of
their examples is 'A,' so they place the music in the "key" of A.  In some
circles you may hear this kind of thing referred to as "A lydian"--the
Lydian mode being the one that contains a flatted seventh tone.  (I'd be a
little unsure of using the name of a semi-equivalent "Jewish" Eastern
European mode--"A Hashem Moloch"--because it doesn't seem to jibe with Torah
trop as I'm going through it in my head.  Erik:  how do they talk about
Torah "modes" at HUC?)

While this may seem kind of clumsy at first (especially with all those
naturals), it's one relatively standard method of writing out modes in
Western notation.

Hope this helps!
Judah.