hanashir

[HANASHIR:5237] hallelu - Alla hoo - minor/major?

Rabbi Klein adn all who are interested,
        Minor modes have been used in Jewish music since the
very beginning. You hit the nail right on the head
Rabbi! The use of minor intervals and scales used to be
the epitome of religious music. ALthouhg in teh Nacient
Near East the term "minor" wasn't used, the intervals
they used (some known as embubu interval or kablite
interval) were almost all part of a minor mode as we
know it today. There are some very interesting paralells
to Sufi music and rhythms in teh Music of the Jewish
people in the ancient near east. So, basically, yes
Rabbi, the use of a minor mode (how many songs do we
know that are based arouns A minor? ;-) ) creates what
has been considered, a "Jewish feel." so to say. Anyway,
if anyone wants to speak further about this, it's part
of my senior thesis this year, so I'm really excited
about it! Please email me at JBROOKEW (at) AOL(dot)COM
Thanks!
yours in song,
Jaimee

P.S. How do I change my email address on this list?