hanashir

[HANASHIR:5238] Re: More Copyright Ideas and Issues

Adrian Durlester wrote:

> I wished to add a few pieces to this discussion. I was reminded that much of
> the music we are talking about here is liturgical in nature, and would be
> performed or used in liturgical settings for which there would be no royalty
> or compensation. In those cases, it really is just a matter of proper
> attribution and name recognition. When congregations assemble a homemade
> shiron, it should always include proper attribution.

My understanding is that reproduction in any form, including homemade shironim
or service booklets, even for strictly liturgical use, would not fall under the
"religious performance" exception and thus permissions (aud royalties, unless
waived) would be due.  This understanding was reinforced by one composer of
liturgical poems (who I would rather not identify) who insisted upon purchase
or a very large royalty for reproduction of the person's work for use in a
liturgical setting ? this for a minyan which is truly on a shoestring (our
budget consists of taking occasional contributions to keep the voicemail going,
and that's it), and is not in the market for expensive doo-wahs at this time.

Please correct if this is a misunderstanding.