hanashir

[HANASHIR:5199] Re: Copyright Campaign

Adrian & Colleagues--

Having seen the documentation for  that one needs to fill out for
copywritting material, I can tell you first-hand that it is cumbersome and
imposing, and tedious to boot. Perhaps a good way to help to begin to protect
each others work would be to make materials and forms available (ASCAP and/or
BMI forms too maybe?) at the conference for all to properly utilize. If we
take these first steps, we are all better off, and better protected too.

As far as the duplication and xerox problems are concerned, that is a
completely different ethical and moral issue. We are all abusers......

The actual forms are something that we can each benefit from though. (Those
of us who have done this paperwork already know what I mean.)  The legalities
and illegalities should be dealt with, but how do we enforce it? I certainly
haven't found a good answer for people who blatant about their abuse.

I will tell you this-- The Catholic Church will NOT allow thier Music
Directors to xerox  music for their choirs. The have paid heavy fines for
these infringements and policed themsleves quite closely. While I am sure
there are still abuses to this situation, they are committed to stop this
type of behavior. It would be wonderful if we could follow their lead....

Steve Dropkin
Birmingham, AL
Singer/Songwriter/Performer/Teacher