hanashir

[HANASHIR:5168] Re: Trope dates

Hello,

Thank you to everyone who posted their expert information.  I will definitely
be referring to your comments and references as I go along.

> >  If you are learning to chant, the pauses and breaks come naturally
> >  as part of the cantellation tunes so it is less important to learn
> >  about the breaks.  You will find that you 'know' where they are
> >  without ever really being taught.
> >
> I agree with the first of these paragraphs, and disagree with the second.
> When I teach, I ask the students to read the text first according to the
> phrases as indicated by the trope.  Then, when the Hebrew is fluent
> and they are ready to chant, they already have a feeling for the phrases.

Actually, now that I am learning about the pauses in my biblical Hebrew
class I will definitely do it like this for my class this time.  But when
*I* was taught my trope teacher told us NOTHING about the pauses.  We learned
proper accenting and then learned to read and then chant the trope names.  When
my biblical Hebrew teacher started telling us about where the pauses were, I
discovered I already knew them quite accurately because I knew where the tunes
paused.  Since I am teaching busy adults who may or may not have the time to
absorb
ALL of the information I can give them it is nice to know that this information
is not critical.  My primary objective is that some of them will chant torah
for services with some regularity.  A shorter learning curve and a willingness
to learn more even as you start chanting is desirable.

Wish me luck!

Thanks again,

Ruth