hanashir

[HANASHIR:5144] Re: Song Competition

In a message dated 2/2/00 10:28:06 PM, dasinger (at) umich(dot)edu writes:

>What's up with the clause that says JMCLA reserves the rights to future
>performances, recordings, and publications?  It seems that by entering
>your
>composition, you are paying them $25 to have the rights to your song!?
>Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not an EXCLUSIVE right, it just allows them to put your song on their
recording and perform it live if they so choose. You still retain all the
other rights. We had three songs in the 1995 finals, and they were on the
live recording of the finals show that JMCLA sells. To my mind, not a big
deal and nothing to be concerned about. Call Sam Glaser if you want to know
more - e-mail me privately for his number, or e-mail him directly at
samglaser (at) aol(dot)com(dot)

Steve Brodsky
One-third of Mah Tovu (contemporary, original Jewish music)
Cantorial Soloist/Music Educator/Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter
Denver, Colorado