hanashir

[HANASHIR:4896] Re: Cantorial qualifications

It is interesting to me that we are still debating the importance of the
complete
training of cantors. Not too long ago there was a similar debate about rabbis as
well.  Anybody from the old country who had been to a cheder or yeshiva called
himself a rabbi, if he was so inclined. ordination was formally given by passing
a talmudic exam on kashrut. but the american jewish community decided rabbis
needed complete preparation in texts, theology, history,  pastoral skills, etc.
in order to reflect the professionalization of the Rabbis position as well as
the
educational standards of the general community. the same applies to the position
of Hazzan. since the  late 1940s seminaries have established programs to
completely  prepare Cantors as clergy members. To challenge that progressive
step
is reactionary, in my view, and shows an underestimation of the potential of the
role of cantor. It is difficult, of course to decide to go to professional
school
at an advanced age, after having completed an undergraduate degree, especially
if
one is with family. but many of us have done it, as have the rabbis, and it is
perhaps a self selection thing testing the call to service of a higher power.
education is always ongoing, but not necessarily informal. sorry to ruffle some
feathers.
jonathan gordon