hanashir

[HANASHIR:4859] Re: Cantorial qualifications

What you said was well-said, and said succinctly.

You picked interesting examples.  I have never asked and in most cases have
no idea what college, university or medical school my surgeon, doctor, lawyer
or accountant graduated from.  Do you?  I engaged them through personal
recommendations from family and friends whom I felt would recommend great
people (both professionally and personally).

Prior to entering this calling, I was not particularly aware which
institutions (if any) the Rabbis and Cantors I had met over the years were
ordained at .  Some of my closest friends and family were Cantors a decade or
more before the existence of the ACC or CA.

And, I am serving my Congregation because of a personal recommendation,
despite the fact that my education is informal and ongoing.

> Date: Saturday, 08-Jan-00 11:13 PM
>
> From: Esd7657 (at) aol(dot)com          \ America Online: (ESD7657)
> To:   Hanashir Mail Server     \ Internet:    (hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org)
>
> Subject:  [HANASHIR:4849] Cantorial qualifications
>
> Sender: owner-hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org
> To:     hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org
> Dear Friends -
> It's hard to be brief on an issue such as this, but I'll try.
>  First off, we ought to clarify that HUC/ACC certification is certainly not
the
> only way to be recognized as a Cantor - these organizations are only the
> ordaining arms of the Reform movement.  Those who have stated that each
> movement tends to recognize those trained within the organizations of their
> movement are correct.
> They have these standards because many people can get three signatures on a
> certificate - but certification/ordination from a known institution
guarantees
> that the candidate has met certain requirements which are known and
accepted by
> the congregations involved.
> Would you hire a surgeon because he/she has a piece of paper signed by three
> surgeons you never heard of?  How about a lawyer? or an accountant?  Each
> vocation requires skills in which this person must be proficient, and a
clergy
> person is no different.
>
> HUC accepts as many qualified candidates as apply each year - we are able to
> handle many more than we do - it is true that our standards are very high,
and
> many people are unable to take five years out of their lives to devote to
this
> full-time, and so our pool of candidates is severely limited.  Our training
is
> as rigorous as it is because we are committed to ordaining clergy who will
be
> able to fill the demands of our Reform congregations.
>
> This lead me to what I feel is the most important point.
> I feel that we have to define terms here.  No-one is denying that there are
> many knowledgeable Jews with lovely voices, excellent musical taste, good
> memorization skills and incredible kavana who are perfectly capable of being
> choir directors, soloists, Torah readers, and outstanding shlichei tzibur.
> What HUC teaches, and what we need to understand, is that the role of the
> cantor in the Reform movement has evolved into something much broader than
> that.  Reform cantors spend only a small fraction of their time on the
bima.
> We are called upon to be scholars not only in the religious school musical
> classroom, but in teaching Torah and a variety of other subjects to both
> children and adults.  We are expected to be counselors in matters both
Jewish