hanashir

[HANASHIR:4855] Re: A success

I was just thinking the same thing and I am so glad Ellen expressed these
thoughts to us all.
I have found such joy in bringing Jewish music to the people in my small
community.
I am a radio show host of Kosher Korner and over the last 2 years I have
been collecting,
thanks to so many of you, a wide range of Jewish music. On Shabbat two very
different people
approached me about my last show. Before Kosher Korner came along I could
not picture these people asking  about Shakshuka, Tsufit, or Chaim Dovid,
just to name a few.
Jewish music is such an easy way for people to connect or reconnect to their
roots.
I find myself listening to Jewish music 85% of the time and I love it. I was
not that much of a
Jewish music lover when I started this project but now I am a dedicated fan.
I wanted to add to Ellen's wonderful idea of house concerts because I feel
that part of the problem is that the Jewish community is still unaware of
the vast amount of music available to them.
A house concert seems like an amazing informal way to reach out to the
public. The numbers may not be huge but I am sure the word of mouth those 23
people create will help Laura out at her next show.
It is my wife's and my custom to give Jewish books  as gifts to children
becoming B'nai mitzvah. I think I will begin to add Jewish music CDs to
those gifts(not the demos I receive either). I wish  I could do more to
promote Jewish music. But I will keep trying in my own small way. It feels a
little like a David vs.. Goliath struggle. I am sure for many of you
performers it feels even more so! Keep up the struggle!
Take Care,

Arye Berk
Kosher Korner