hanashir

[HANASHIR:4853] A success

Dear All,

Last night, my husband and I held our first of what we hope to be many house
concerts in our home in Worcester. The concert featured our very own
talented Laura Berkson who wowed the crowd of 23 people who attended. She
shared a selection of original compositions, as well as a few written by
other songwriters. It seemed as if everyone left feeling lifted and either
more connected or re-connected to Judaism and to music.

I woke up this morning feeling so refreshed and nourished. And I think it
has something to do with sharing this music with people from our community,
people who really appreciated it. I felt so very proud of one of ours (as in
hanashirites). But more than that. I saw something on peoples' faces. I
sensed something that felt shared by everyone in attendance. The people on
this list have been blessed with the ability and opportunity to create
music, whether it be in Jewish or secular situations. And some of us have
had the good fortune to attend retreats or conferences where we can make
lots of music with fellow musicians, or attend wonderful concerts given by
Jewish artists. But, I realized last night, that almost all of the people
who came to hear Laura, rarely have the opportunity to hear the great music
that we do. And when I saw the genuinely loving reception that she received,
it reminded me that we have an obligation, I believe, to share our musical
wealth with those in our midst. I felt as if people went home with a
beautiful gift...the gift of great music and spirit and joy, and in this
case, of Jewish music.

Just got a phone call from someone who came to the concert. She was calling
to say how much she appreciated our holding the concert in our home and that
she and her husband loved every minute of it!

My hope is that this idea of house concerts spreads to other communities and
that those who want to perform and share their music have opportunities to
do so. By creating these mini-performance settings, we are sharing what we
have been blessed with each and every day.

Ellen Allard
Worcester, MA