From:    AGREENBA (at) aol(dot)com
To:      World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Subject: What is on topic....
Date:    Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:55:54 EDT

Perhaps you have a point, albeit a small one. Perhaps a little venting on my
part. My apologies - albeit a small amount....
And now to respond:
On topic does include the fact that many fine musicians out there on this
list would benefit from hearing either success or horror stories and therefore
might promote   more music happening - which IS on topic.
I do find your reaction to a rather small discussion rather over-the -top, I
have to say...
This list discusses music, musicians, and sometimes how that music gets
heard. It's one thing for a practicing musician to learn their craft well and
perform for others; that's our "job." But if we spend our time communicating to
those in charge who ignore all signals as to how to get that fine performance
out
there then we've wasted a great deal of precious time that could have been
artfully put to better use.   It's also part of the musician's job to find out
how to get that music heard and therefore some on the list might have good
suggestions. All in the name of "Jewish Music."   Your next posting of "Enuf
already" implies also that there were numerous postings on this. I hope this
doesn't detract people from responding in a positive way on what IS going on in
certain new venue so that klezmer can get heard more in NYC - as originally
posted - and how this discussion got going - ON topic.
Adrianne

______________________________________
Adrianne Greenbaum
http://www.klezmerflute.com & http://www.klezband.com
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
http://www.fluteworld.com or http://www.cdbaby.com
Perhaps you have a point, albeit a small one. Perhaps a little venting on my part. My apologies - albeit a small amount....
And now to respond:
On topic does include the fact that many fine musicians out there on this list would benefit from hearing either success or horror stories and therefore might promote  more music happening - which IS on topic.
I do find your reaction to a rather small discussion rather over-the -top, I have to say...
This list discusses music, musicians, and sometimes how that music gets heard. It's one thing for a practicing musician to learn their craft well and perform for others; that's our "job." But if we spend our time communicating to those in charge who ignore all signals as to how to get that fine performance out there then we've wasted a great deal of precious time that could have been artfully put to better use.  It's also part of the musician's job to find out how to get that music heard and therefore some on the list might have good suggestions. All in the name of "Jewish Music."  Your next posting of "Enuf already" implies also that there were numerous postings on this. I hope this doesn't detract people from responding in a positive way on what IS going on in a certain new venue so that klezmer can get heard more in NYC - as originally posted - and how this discussion got going - ON topic.
Adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
http://www.klezmerflute.com & http://www.klezband.com
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
http://www.fluteworld.com or http://www.cdbaby.com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->