Re: Trombone

 Howie Leess told me that he developed his wonderful klez tenor sax style by
picking up licks from trombone players.  Not to put myself in the same
paragraph as the great Howie, but I copped a lot of trombone parts (as well as
comping tricks from Howie) in developing a performance style of klez
accompaniment for 5-string banjo.

One of my best klezmer lessons ever was at KlezKanada in 1997 or so, having
KCB's Dave Harris sing trombone parts into a tape recorder for a glorious 2
minutes.

I'm no expert on trombones (I look forward to Jordan jumping in on this
thread), but given the decent of klezmer brass instruments from military bands
in Europe, that would be a place to research origins.  Possibly the performance
style changed in America given exposure to jazz styles.

Ryan by the way is a terrific klez trombone player in his own right.

Pete Rushefsky

Ryan Zawel <rzawel1 (at) ithaca(dot)edu> wrote:
Hello-

I am a trombonist currently studying and performing this music
with Joel Rubin at Cornell U. I am hoping for your input in a
research project of mine:

I am hoping to capture the names, stories, and styling of the
trombone among klezmorim from 19th-Century Europe through
the most recent revival ensembles. Please e-mail me directly at
rzawel1 (at) ithaca(dot)edu if you would like to contribute any information
about the topic. I will reply with a brief survey. Thank you.

Ryan Zawel