Re: looking for lyrics to " vos darf men hoben gelt in der velt"

It's interesting that the Katsherginski (Warsaw) version doesn't
incorportate the 'tsuzamen mitn gelt' motif. For those who don't have
the book, it goes (without even attempting a Polish accent):

Az nit keyn emune in got borukh hu, [Without faith in God, blessed be
he)
Vos-zhe toyg mir ales vos ikh tu?[What's the point of all that I do]

Oyb nit keyn bitakhon in zayn geyule, [If not secure in his redemption]
Loynt nit tsu lebn a rege afile. [It's not even worth living for a
moment]

Is the Ginzburg-Marek version similar to this? (I don't have a copy of
the book)

Abigail

On 16 Mar 2004, at 13:42, itzik gottesman wrote:

> For other variations of "oyb nisht keyn emine" see Ginsburg-Marek no.
> 26, and in Katcherginski's collection of ghetto songs, there is a
> version that was sung in the Warsaw ghetto. I believe the informant
> was the Montreal Yiddish poet Yehude Elberg who died last year. There
> is a recording on an LP of this Warsaw version by a cantor whose name
> is Asher Hazinovitch (my spelling is surely wrong, I apologize).
> Notice that it is sung much slower than the Hasidic version which was
> released on the recording "Zmires yisrol".. - itzik gottesman
> --
> Itzik Nakhmen Gottesman, Ph.D
> Associate Editor
> Yiddish Forward
> 45 E. 33rd St.
> NY NY 10016
> (212) 453-9409 (work)
> (212) 684-3949 FAX
>  (917) 930-0295 Cell

--Abigail Wood

Lecturer in Music, School of Humanities
University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Tel: ++44 (0)23 8059 5064    University network: 25064