  From: MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 11:23 AM
  Subject: North Chicago Suburbs this Saturday Night: Music from the Tent of
Abraham

  "Music From the Tent of Abraham"
  Unique Program Unites Jews and Arabs

  WHAT:   "Music From the Tent of Abraham"
  WHEN:   Concert -- Saturday, March 13, 8:30 PM
          Educational Program -- Sunday, March 14, 10:15 AM
  WHERE:  Lakeside Congregation for Reform Judaism,
          1221 Lake-Cook Rd., Highland Park
  COST:   Concert -- $20 in advance; $25 at door.
          Educational Program -- Free.
  PRE-REGISTER:     Call (847) 432-7950

  HIGHLAND PARK, IL, Jan. 29, 2004... In a timely alliance, representatives
  from Arab and Jewish cultures will collaborate for a weekend of music and
  study when Lakeside Congregation for Reform Judaism hosts its annual
  Scholar-in-Residence weekend, March 12-14, 2004.  The multi-dimensional
  program -- "Music From the Tent of Abraham" -- will provide a unique
opportunity
  for a Jewish congregation to welcome Arab musicians under its roof.

  The program is sponsored by Lakeside Congregation, honoring Genesis at the
  Crossroads, a Chicago-based non-profit organization dedicated to bringing
  together Arab, Persian and Jewish communities through music and the arts.
  This weekend-long program includes:

  -  Saturday, March 13 -- The Hamsa Concert, which includes the Arabic musical
  ensemble Trio Mizan playing together with a quartet from the Maxwell Street
  Klezmer Band. Trio Mizan specializes in classical music from Morocco, Algeria
  and Tunisia using Middle Eastern instruments such as the ‘ud and qanun.
This
  Hamsa concert features Trio Mizan musicians Hicham Chami, Chicago
Magazine’s
  "best exotic instrumentalist," alongside Yoel Ben-Simhon and Richard
Jankowsky.
  The Maxwell Street Klezmer Band musicians perform a spirited style of music
  associated with Eastern European Jewish culture.

  -  Sunday, March 14 -- An adult enrichment lecture led by ethnomusicologist
and
  Fulbright Scholar Richard Jankowsky, entitled "Mutual Inflences; Arab and
  Jewish Music in North Africa."

  Rabbi Isaac Serotta of Lakeside Congregation says, "This unique program helps
us
  to see the similarities between Jews and Moslems, and opens doors to
dialogue.
  In a world rife with destruction, I am pleased that Lakeside Congregation can
join
  with Genesis at the Crossroads to be bonim -- builders of peace."   Cantor
Michael
  Davis adds, "A popular perception is that religion can create conflict
between
  communities. This weekend will bring Jews and Arabs together to unify
cultures
  through music and to celebrate our common heritage.  The program offers a
message
  of hope to the Jewish and Arab communities in Chicago and beyond."

  "This event and other cross-cultural artistic collaborations can serve as
catalysts
  for inter-ethnic dialogue and global understanding," says Wendy Sternberg,
MD,
  founder and co-president of Genesis at the Crossroads.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->