Feb. 7 Rubin/Rushefsky Performance Warmed the Soul

On a frigid, snowy, Saturday night, the performance of Dr. Joel Rubin on C
clarinet, Pete Rushefsky on tsimbl and Rabbi Eli Silberstein, vocalist, warmed
many hearts and souls at the Ithaca College Tu B'Shevat gathering sponsored by
Hillel and Chabad.  The first set featured primarily Lubavitch Hassidic songs
sung by the rabbi.  The Rubin/Rushefsky duo blended very nicely and the
overall effect was quite moving.

Personally, I looked forward with much anticipation to the second all
instrumental set, from the collections of Ukrainian-Jewish ethnomusicologist
Moshe
Beregovski.  If you are a big fan of the CD Beregovski's Khasene, you had a
rare
opportunity to hear this music brought back to life in Rubin's understated
yet brilliant interpretation of this traditional Jewish wedding music
collection.  It was obvious to me that this is the repertoire that Mr.
Rushefsky is most
comfortable with and it was evident in his own performance.

I understand some of this repertoire will be performed at Cornell University
in late March when accordionist Claudio Jacomucci will be appearing with Dr.
Rubin.
On a related note, it would be worthwhile if the list received some feedback
from attendees of many of the performances that are promoted here.

Alan Sisselman
Buffalo, NY

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->