Re: KI

  Thanks Leonard for such a thoughtful post.  You bring up an excellent point
that has the potential for shedding light on the *truth* of the matter. Many
women (and men) on this list are painfully aware that getting around
"restrictive" Hallachic rulings has always been the tactic of choice - by the
(male) rabbis who devised them.  The fact that KI is alive and well in the 21st
Century points to the root causes of why this Hallachic ruling showed up in the
first place! (was it in the 8th century?).  Mountains of Hallachic rulings,
heaps of minutia, self-referential logic, excuses, rationalizations, dogma and
best of all - *invoking G-d's name* - cannot cover the fact that all of
humanity is just MEN AND WOMEN, and that like it or not - but things like Kol
Isha, Burkas, Chastity belts, (shall I continue...?) are ALL things that men do
to women. G-d, religion, and our beloved Judaism have nothing to do with these
rules as such - only provide the "legitimization" for this form of abuse.
Women, representing 50% of humanity had NO SAY in the CREATION of these so
called "cultural" or "religious" customs.

  WHY men do these things to women is another question - one that so few men
are willing to address and tell the truth about.  I know I've written similar
things three years ago (and got alot of people upset, I'm really sorry...) -
but here we are again going around and around in circles talking about KI as if
nothing was *fundamentally* wrong with it.  Oh yeah, it's just another "custom"
we're trying to explore.  So Leonard - let's find a bunch of nice Orthodox
rabbis - Hassidic, Misnagedim, Satmar, let's get them all -  who would be
willing to put a virtual "Eruv" around KI, and announce once and for all that
this rule is obsolete - in the same way that Polygamy became obsolete. Plan "B"
would be to hang out in the desert for 40 years until our consciousness evolves
enough to be able to handle the change without resorting to Hallachic
gymnastics. I wouldn't hold my breath though...

  Shirona
  Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
     www.shirona.com
     www.cdbaby.com/shirona