Thoughts and queries on "Kol Isha"

Hi everyone,

As a gentile, with little previous knowledge of these issues, I have found the
Kol Isha discussion most enlightening. I also looked around a bit on the
Internet for additional info and came across the following interesting article
on Orthodox communities in England:

http://www.santacecilia.it/italiano/archivi/etnomusicologico/ESEM99/musicspace/papers/rosenfelder/rosenfelder.htm

I still do have some questions, and I hope you will forgive me my ignorance in
these religious matters. First of all, the article which sparked the latest
round of discussion referred to Afghanistan, a Moslem country. Is there a
similar practice (women not singing in front of men) among Orthodox Moslems (it
certainly seems to exist in Aghanistan)? The reason I'm asking is that the
implication seems to be that strictness concerning gender relations (as
witnessed in many Moslem countries, where male and female domains oftentimes
remain separate) goes hand in hand with "Kol Isha" (or similar practices in
Moslem countries).

 In that case, how would you explain the fact that the 'cult' that surrounds
such female singers as Oum Kalthoum or Fairuz? Oum Kalthoum was an important
public figure and by no means restricted to the female sphere. Also, my
impression is that Oum Kalthoum sang mainly to male audiences, and that her
performances where oftentimes charged with an unusual emotional intensity or
excitement on the part of the audience (I believe it's called "tarab").

Another interesting issue is the presence of singers who are, in a sense,
neither women nor men in societies which are generally considered traditional
or conservative when it comes to gender issues. I'm thinking of Turkey, where
you have the incredibly camp and effiminate Zeki Muren, who at the end of his
career appeared dressed as a woman on stage. Contrary to what one might think,
he/she was not at all a novelty act-Muren was a highly revered and respected
singer of "classic" Turkish music. Also, on the Arabesk scene there are several
"transsexual" singers, the most prominent being Bulent Ersoy. And then there is
Dana International, of course.....

Hope I haven't offended anyone with this post-it was certainly not my intention!

All the best, Eva

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->