Re: Grammys

Lorele,

Anyone who is a voting member of the Grammy Association (NARAS - National
Association of Recording Arts & Sciences) can put a recording on the initial
ballot.  I have been a voting member for over 15 years now and it is easy to
do.  Visit the Grammy site at www.grammy.com to find out more -- but here is
how they define voting member:
Voting Members are professionals with creative or technical credits on six
commercially released tracks (or their equivalent). These may include
vocalists, conductors, songwriters, composers, engineers, producers,
instrumentalists, arrangers, art directors, album notes writers, narrators
and music video artists and technicians.
The annual membership is under $100, I think.

So, you can even self-submit your own recording in a particular category on
the initial ballot.  This is not considered a "nomination", but is just an
initial listing of the choices that voting members can choose from.  Around
the end of each year, an initial ballot is sent out and you can vote for up
to 5 recordings in a certain number of categories.  The votes are tabulated
and a final ballot is sent out with THE NOMINATIONS.  You then vote for one
of the five nominated choices in certain categories.

I would strongly encourage anyone who meets the criteria to become a voting
member.  Not only do you have the chance to submit and vote, but you also
have the chance to purchase tickets to attend the Grammys and you are able
to order recordings at cost.

One of my colleagues (Linda Yelnick) and I have been working for many years
to try to get the Grammys to create a category that our music can fit into.
Right now, you have to submit under the category of the closest style of
your music and compete against major labels in these genres.  They do have a
contemporary Christian category, even a Polka category, but the closest
thing we have that fits is "world".  If more of us join, we have a larger
voice and can maybe make something happen.

I will tell you that people "campaign" for the Grammys just as they do for
any other award.  It is very difficult for an independent to get nominated
when the big labels and companies are doing lots of marketing to make sure
you know about their recordings.

If anyone has any other questions, I encourage you to visit the Grammy site
or feel free to contact me at the e-mail below.

Judy :)
Judy Caplan Ginsburgh, Professional Singer
1999 Louisiana Professional Artist of the Year!
judy (at) jewishentertainment(dot)net     -    judy (at) judymusic(dot)com
www.judymusic.com
"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on
both hands. You need to be able to throw something back."

Director: Jewish Entertainment Resources - We Help You Find Jewish Talent!
www.jewishentertainment.net
Conference Chair, CAJE 23: www.caje.org
Member - Children's Music Network; www.cmnonline.org
Member - Women Cantor's Network; www.womencantors.net

If you have some time, check out these great websites:
www.songsforteaching.com
www.hotshabbat.com and www.totshabbat.com
www.playhouseradio.com