Re: The spell checker

Difficulties I have using my hands require that I employ dictation software
and hardware, which is even worse.

When I was living and teaching in Poland, I had to learn Windows for the
first time, as no one in that country has a Mac.  When I typed my lectures
(in English) on the only computer in the music building, almost every word
was underlined in red for reasons I did not understand, learning only later
that the spell check was automatic and underlined everything that was not a
correctly spelled Polish word.  Had I been typing in transliterated
Yiddish, I'd probably have gotten a few less red marks.

At 11:11 AM 1/8/2004 -0600, you wrote:

>Lori from Maxwell St. was remarking on her spell checker's difficulties
>with Yiddish and musical terms.  Presumably any language other than
>English would create a similar list, many musical terms having come from
>Italian.  An important question would be which word processing software is
>being used, although Word is becoming lingua franca.  (E-mail software has
>similar spell-check capabilities.)  Two comments: 1) I don't want to
>specify how I found out, but my e-mail software, Lotus Notes, has a hard
>time with profanity.  (And I won't bother you with examples.)  and 2) It
>should be possible to add frequently-used terms to the spell checker's
>dictionary.  In Word go to Tools > Options > Spelling & Grammar > Custom
>Dictionaries > Select Dictionary > Modify > type in the word and click
>ADD > OK > OK > OK.  I don't mean to send a dour response to Lori's
>humorous contri! bution, but adding frequently-used terms to the
>dictionary might make checking spelling and typing go more smoothly.
>
>Fred ("from Flad Ave.") Blumenthal
>xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)