Re: Klezmer Library

At 02:57 PM 1/4/2004, you wrote:
>Having recently taken out a copy of Jews With Horns from my shul, I
>developed a strong affinity to klezmer music. I have heard it most of my
>life, being jewish and all, but never really given it a second thought. I
>was wondering where I should start building my klezmer library. Any
>suggestions would be great.

In case he feels modest about it, let me mention Seth Rogovoy's book, "The
Essential Klezmer", which is a great guide to Klezmer music, and has many
short reviews and an "essential" list. Several people who contribute to
this list also write, on- and off-line, and their websites (or, in George
Robinson's case, the Jewish Week's) website have lots of good articles and
reviews of what is most recent. My website is at
http://www.klezmershack.com/ and the page with links to other sites is
http://www.klezmershack.com/klezlinks.html.

Just listening for new releases is another good source of info. Just within
the last two weeks, for instance: Brave Old World's new release
(http://www.cdbaby.com/braveoldworld/ ) and a wonderful new traditional
album by Freylach Time (featuring the Klezmatics' David Licht on drums) at
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/freylach . I'll stop there.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/