RE: song from Rivesaltes

A song's trip round the world...

A few weeks ago Sylvie Braitman asked the list about a song that was sung in
the French detention camp of Rivesaltes during the WW2. I asked my friend
Betty SAVILLE who also stood there: She didn't remember the song... but
asked
further to the AEDCY in Paris. As they had no idea, they contacted Szulim
ROZENBERG who remembered the music but not the lyrics... Nevetheless, Szulim
had a friend, Henri MOKOLOW, in Australia who got them...
And then all the way back to you!

The song was often sung in Jewish holiday camps already before the war,
although some lyrics could have been changed in Rivesaltes.

Here they are:

Fun dem stav biz promenade
In der shtilkait fun der nakht,
Zing ikh dir a serenade
Kum arois tsu mir main prakht
Kh'hob gebrakht dir a kartofl,
Kum arois un es zikh on,
Oib s'iz dir vainik, vel ikh dir zingen
Lider, fun a beigl mit mon,
Tayere bas-malke her ois main geruf,
Kum arois tsu mir, ikh ervarte dikh
Baim stav.

Zolst nisht kumen on pantofl
Kenst nokh krign dem katar
Gikher shneler der kartofl,
Er iz dokh in a grois gefar
Es dernentert zikh a koze
Akh pardon, s'iz gor a ferd,
Oib azoi, hob nisht kain moire
Ikh bin a held - kh'hob ales in d'rerd.
Tayere bas-malke her ois main geruf,
Kum arois tsu mir, ikh ervarte dikh
Baim stav

Please, write me off list if you wish to contact the over-mentionned
persons.

BTW, if you're interested in Rivesaltes, don't miss the very moving
documentary JOURNAL DE RIVESALTES (1997, Switzerland) by Jacqueline Veuve,
about a young Swiss nurse who worked there in 1941-42.

Michal

borzykowski (at) infomaniak(dot)ch
Homepage AMJ: http://www.club-association.ch/amj
Geneva klezmer page: http://borzykowski.users.ch