RE: December Deals and News From Craig 'n Co.

Not having heard Craig's recording that is referred to in this post, I'll
nonetheless hazard the following response:

When we (i.e. Ceilizemer, on our recent "Shalom Ireland" CD - see Ari's review
on his website) first attempted to record the Shabbat zemer "Yom Shabbaton", we
ran into the problem of not being able to hear, upon playback, the
semi-guttural "CH" sound when it occurred at the end of a word. For example, in
that particular song, the first line is, "Yom shabbaton, eyn lishkoaCH, zichru
ke-reaCH ha-nikoaCH". It KILLED me because I well knew I was pronouncing those
words correctly, but the mic just wasn't picking it up! I thought, gee, people
are gonna think I can't pronounce Hebrew (all right, so I sound a bit
Californian...).

So I went back and did the vocal part again, really (over)emphasizing those
final "CH" sounds, and it came out sounding okay.

I bring this up only to suggest a bit of pronunciatory rochmones when subtle
Hebraic inflections, particularly at word endings, may possibly go unnoticed by
the recording system.

-Andy Rubin
Ceilizemer and The Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band

www.freilachmakers.com
www.shalomireland.com

916-324-3477 (daytime)
916-484-1176 (evening)