RE: Dona, dona

I have a number of sources that refer to "Esterke" as having
been produced for the "1940-41" season.  I can find nothing
more precise for now.

--Robert Cohen

P.S.  I was once told that Joan Baez was shown the song
in a version that had the syllable written "Dona" or "Donna",
which she vocalized as "Dohna"--whereupon the whole world
started singing it that way.  I don't know if earlier recorded
versions (i.e., in mainstream LPs) also used that pronuncia-
tion; but I continue to believe (though some have doubted me,
including on this list!) that it was Joan's recording, on what
was then the largest-selling LP by a woman artist ever, that,
more than anything or anyone else, spread this song around
the world.  (That doesn't mean, I fully realize, that it hadn't
been sung previously in both Jewish and folk circles.)