Re: Dona, dona

Robert, you confirm what Mashe told me that Sholem Secunda told her.  I
just happened to look on the back of a piece of Metro Music published in
1937 and it has listed under "New Publications of Jewish Folk Songs and
Classics" the song # 309, "Dana, Dana, Dana" by Zeitlin and Secunda.
Anyone know when Esterke first appeared?  I wonder when it changed from
Dana to Dona.

Lorele

On Tue,  9 Dec 2003 10:19:33 -0700 music (at) sterlingmp(dot)org writes:
> Teddy Schwartz told me once that Aaron Zeitlin had specifically
> told her (I *think* it was he telling her, rather than second-hand;
> I know she told me so, anyway) that he intended them only as
> nonsense syllables, *not* to refer to G*d.
>
> --Robert Cohen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->