Re: mp3 com

MP3.com was a great place to post music and information for a group.  In it's
heyday, one could even make some decent money as people downloaded or streamed
the music.  They had to stop being so generous when MP3.com realized that their
business plan was a flop but I remember when some of the most popular
independent groups would make thousands of dollars each month.

About a year ago, they started charging a fee ($4.95 for the basic and $19.95
for the premium site) which was still OK as it provided a simple way to expose
one's music to the world.  There are stats telling you from which countries
people listen to your music.  It was so nice to come home from a gig, upload
the music and in a couple of days have it on the site for the world (and the
rest of the band) to hear.  And as for profiting from this, I agree with the
attitudes of Dave Mathews and the Gateful Dead, once I've played it, it's not
mine anymore.

There are other sites that have similar programs but none with the exposure of
MP3.com.  How about a freilich version of "Taps" right here........

Glenn

Judith R Cohen <judithc (at) yorku(dot)ca> wrote:
hi,
I've never heard of mp3 com.
Seriously. I mean, I really haven't. I know mp3's are things people
occasionally send me in files that take forever to download over my slow
phone line but are really useful when they're specific things I need
faster than cassettes or cds go by mail, and see mp3 players for sale
all the time, and they look neat and lightweight, I keep thinking I
should get one on some vague principle.
But I actually never have heard of mp3s with a com after them.
SO I guess I won't miss mp3 com
But I have an awful lot of great music at home in formats that nobody
seems to be worrying about their being made unavailable on the net,
largely because I guess they're not on the net.
Most of it has been acquired in ways that at least somewhere along the
chain help people like Simon to, as he wistfully puts it, "eek out a
living"...

Judith

KLEZSKA - part of the next wave in Jewish music www.klezska.com