FleytMuzik at tonic/nyc Dec 21

Hi all,
Just wanted to give a little heads up a few weeks in advance in case there
were some of you might be in NYC area for the first Chanuka weekend.
On December 21 I will be performing with Pete Rushevsky and Marty Confurius
(Cookie MAY join in on a set if she can briefly tear herself away from a family
fete...) at Tonic. We'll be performing most of the Fleyt album but also
additional Gulerman and Triplik/Beregovski tunes, a couple of which will
hopefully
performed on my "new" simple-system J. Zimmermann flute, c. 1899.   It's a
great sounding gem of an instrument if I can remember most of the fingerings...
I'm gettin' there.... Anyway, I'd love to see many of you and maybe it'll be a
nice warm afternoon like it's supposed to be this Sunday :-) Each set will be
different so come to both and shmooze in between.
The usual Tonic info: 1:30/3:00; $10/$15; 107 Norfolk St., Manhattan.
(www.tonicnyc.com for more directions)
Here are a few snippits from reviews of the album:

I can't think of a stronger case being made for the flute as an essential
klezmer instrument (besides the historical fact that Old World kapelyes often
included flutes) than this album, particularly Adrianne Greenbaum's spirited
playing on her own composition, 'Di Terkishe Fleyt,' which boasts the soulful
vibrancy, wit and virtuosity of the great clarinetists like Brandwein and
Tarras.
With tsimblist Josh Horowitz, fiddler Cookie Segelstein and bassist Marty
Confurius, Greenbaum has assembled a gorgeous neo-traditional ensemble of
classical proportions. Call her the Andy Statman of the klezmer flute. -- Seth
Rogovoy, author, "The Essential Klezmer: A Music Lover's Guide to Jewish Roots
and
Soul Music"

I am awestruck, and am not going to waste further verbiage trying to describe
what an amazing, beautiful, virtuosic album this is. If you like klezmer, or
you like flute, or if you didn't know that you liked either, this will still
be your favorite album for a long time. This CD, by Klezical Tradition's
Adrianne Greenbaum, opens with a stunning, muscular flute doina and never
stops.
.....It's classical klezmer featuring a variety of vintage flutes for the
perfect
period sound. But this is also classical music grounded in dance tradition.
Playing the older wooden flutes makes a difference. This music swings. It also
has power. And yet, it is also very modern. It blows my mind to the
possibilities of klezmer the way Andy Statman and Zev Feldman's groundbreaking
"Jewish
Klezmer Music" of 20 years ago made me first excited about klezmer.  Ari
Davidow Klezmershack.com

....FleytMuzik to me is the most exciting new klezmer recording since the old
"Jewish Klezmer Music" by Zev Feldman, Andy Statman and Marty Confurius (the
latter of whom also features on this album) in the 70s. It is fresh,
refreshing, marvelously joyous and soulful at once - it's everything the best
klezmer
music, and the best music per se, should be, music that not only the ears
listen to but the heart as well, and music that delights both.   ...Rainlore
Reviews

... Indeed Adrianne is a master on the flute and without any problem she
knows how to interprete the klezmer music in a professional and personal way.
Because of the good co-operation with the other musicians she creates a full
sound
and each song is a pleasure to listen to. Besides that the musicians manage
to make all tunes sound like they were meant to be together on a cd. They are
not just fragments but brought together in such a professional way that
Fleytmuzik sounds like one piece of music of almost an hour that is a pleasure
hear. –FolkWorld Magazine

For more info, reviews and other flute info please visit
www.klezmerflute.com
See yas!
Adrianne
Adrianne Greenbaum
www.klezmerflute.com & www.klezband.com
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
fluteworld or cdbaby

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->