Re: Quartertones in cantorial music

I forwarded for comment to one of the presenters at the Milken
conference,  Boaz Tarsi (Professor of music at J.T.S. specializing in
cantorial modes), this recently discussed topic.  I believe that he
addresses very well the issues that we raised in our passionate -- albeit
Just and Well-Tempered -- discussions.  This is what he had to say:

<< On quartertones in nusach Ashkenaz:

We have to first make the distinction between awareness of their usage and
lack thereof, and if there is awareness, whether it is conceptualized or
not.
Then there are three other main issues to consider:

1) Tempered tuning as we know it is itself quite a young system.

2) Regardless of the formal and conceptualized system, in practical
performance no one except for keyboard instruments really plays the exact
frequency of the notes, tempered or not, and definitely not in a consistent
manner.  Furthermore, even the keyboard instruments (and harps) are tuned
in a variety of systems, so in the reality of the performed sound there is
a variety of pitch choices in any particular case.

3) What is meant by "quartertones?"  Is it
    A- the less-than-exactly-half-step as the measuring unit
    B- the use of notes that are a quartertone (or anything less than
half-step) apart, or
    C- the use of a variety of intervals that cannot be measured only by
the amount of half steps they contain.

Regarding the formal conceptual system in nusach Ashkenaz:
Obviously we have no concrete evidence of the practice much before the
mid-late eighteenth century, but if we were to accept the earliest
semi-concrete
evidence in the "Missinai Tunes" as a reflection of the Judeo-Germanic
practices in the beginning of the second millennium, we should assume that
the tuning system was identical to the local systems -- i.e., secular,
folk, and "art" music of the time and place, which was basically the
Western
common practice of pre-tempered tuning -- which is still not really a
quartertone system; rather, it is based on dividing the octave into the 12
chromatic notes but not precisely evenly.  This is still separate and
fundamentally different from the tuning systems outside of the Western
common practice.

We do not know what Jewish (Hebrew) music in the time of antiquity and even
later was, nor do we know what really happened to it as it evolved to
become what is reflected in the 18th-19th century sources and current
practice.  It is possible, even probable, that it originally consisted of a
different tuning system; but whatever it was then, it had certainly become
"Westernized" by the time we can start tracing it back to medieval Europe.

What [posters to the J-M list] report hearing in the cantorial recordings
[i.e. the singing which deviates from "standard Western tuning"], whether
deliberately sung or not, is not part of a formal system or even a commonly
accepted performance practice, and is at best (if at all aware) a personal
style or choice...>>

-Prof. Boaz Tarsi

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ