RE: Taraf de Haidouk

Michel Borzykowski [mailto:borzykowski (at) infomaniak(dot)ch] wrote:

>I'm not qualified in Gypsy music, but I listened again to the CD and
found
>that the 6th tune 'A stork crosses the Danube / in the company of a
raven'
>(Barza nachlea a pai arachlieape la Ciora) contained more klezmer
phrases
>(parts from tunes like Philadelphia sher, Sherele...) than the 12th
'Little
>Buds' (Mugur mugurel) that doesn't recollect me any Jewish song.

>And if you allow me another question (more questions than aswers!):
DO you
>know any other common tunes between the gypsy / klezmer and klezmer
arab
>repertories? (Bessarabie, Miserlou...)

The typical Jewish doina is the Romanian Doina Oltului (in my opinion,
anyway).
A common Jewish melody (that for one thing is on Max Leibowitz's
Emerson
recording, "Orientalishe Melodien," but I don't know if it's been
reissued or
not) is the Romanian song which, under one title anyway, is "Ce mai
foc si ce
mai jale," but I have it on a recent Electrecord cassette
(can't think of the singer).
Dave Tarras's "Tsiganeshti" (on the Balkan Arts LP) is called "Tuica";
the
words are something like:

        Cu damigeana si un rachiu rosiu
        Si un lautar batrin

I think this may be the one that Cor mentioned.

Joseph Moskowitz recorded several non-Gypsy Moldavian popular songs---
"Trandafir
din Moldova" is one.  Nicolae Feraru, Bucharest cimbalom player from
Chicago,
recognized a section from one of Moskowitz's Jewish tunes (either
Sadegurer
Chusid or the other one) as part of a hora played in Dobrogea.  He
also regards
"La Bacau" as a "Jewish" tune, but maybe it should be more properly
regarded as
a Moldavian tune frequented requested by Romanian-born Jews. "Mugur
Mugurel"
apparently was composed and published in the early 20th century in
Bucharest.

The American Gypsy musicians I've known (families came from eastern
Slovakia
1880s-1910s to Pennsylvania and Ohio) play "Misirlou" a lot, but
that's just
regarded as a "Greek" standard.

Paul Gifford