Re: finger vibrato

In a message dated 8/30/03 6:26:39 AM, khupe (at) khupe(dot)de writes:

>  But it makes a huge difference to what Brandwein
> did in that one case, rather pushing the air than changing the note.

Wait wait. Are you saying that you think Brandwein was doing a breath
vibrato? It's both distinct and used only on that note when clearly there are
other
notes available lengthwise that one can use breath vibrato. Maybe I'm reading
this backwards from what you're saying.
Let's keep going on this :-)

I rather think of any kind of finger vibrato as using an old technique rather
than developing a new. It was around for a very long time, be it microtonal
as in for messe de voce or more noticable as in vibrati.   Not all that sure
that various treatises were actually making that difference in explanation
anyway; have to read more...

Adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
fluteworld or cdbaby

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->