[JLM] Verdi (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:10:16 -0400
From: zavel1946 (at) netscape(dot)net
To: jewishshulmusic (at) yahoogroups(dot)com
Subject: [JLM] Verdi

Verdi composed four sacred pieces(quatro pezzi sacri)
for chorus. They are magnificent examples of SATB
writing. One piece sticks out in my mind - Ave Maria.
It is the only one of the four that is unaccompanied.
It is based on an enigmatic scale. If you listen to the
music and blot out the words, you will hear some
excellent Jewish music. When I was studying music in
college I remember hearing a story about Verdi and an
Italian chazzan. I really don't remember the story
except for the fact that Verdi was overwhelmed by the
music in the synagogue of this chazzan. I really don't
know if there is any truth to the story, but it would
explain Verdi's fascination with Jewish music.

Jeff Forman