Old sheet music collection help...

Jewish Music folks,

I play in a classical wind ensemble in addition to klezmer groups.
Recently, before a wind ensemble rehearsal, I was playing through some
klezmer tunes, when one of the other band members came up to ask me about
klezmer and my interest in it.

Apparently, his wife's uncle was a klezmer player back in the 1930's. I
can't remember his (the klezmer player's) name, however. This gentleman
and his wife have some filing cabinets full of the uncle's old sheet
music, which I'm told haven't been looked at since the man died some time
ago.

He was interested in finding out how it may be possible to have this music
archived and published. I told him that I would check with my sources for
information about who would be interested in this. Now, obviously, I would
have loved if he would have turned the whole collection over to me, but I
think he is looking for something a little more reputable than an
individual with a keen interest in previously 'lost' klezmer music.

That said, for those on this list who specialize in things like the
finding of old manuscripts/recordings/whatnot, especially those in an
around NYC, I would ask you to either respond here or to me off-list and I
will put you in touch with him.

thanks,

jeremy schiffer

http://klezmer.org