Turkish music

I was just sent a copy of a CD that is so unique, I have to share.  It is
called Yahudije (the name for the Ladino language of the Jewish people in
Ottoman times).  The CD presents Ladino repertoire that deals with urban
music from Istanbul, Izmir, Thessalonika, and Jerusalem.  The songs have
been extensively researched by Hadass Pal-Yarden who is a singer and a
doctoral student of Ethnomusicology.  She has painstakingly researched these
songs and preserved 14 of them on this CD in as authentic form as possible
using mostly Ottoman instruments and the typical clear, ornamental vocal
style of this music.  Not only is the music on the CD lovely and an
historical record, but it comes with a book which contains 160 pages of
educational material about each song, its style, background, audio archival
sources, bibliography and discography).

For anyone who is a world music collector, lover of Sephardic music or
someone who just wants to learn more about this music, this CD is a must
have for your collection.  I will be posting a review at
www.jewishentertainment.net     You can find out more about the disc by
visiting www.kalan.com.

Judy :)

Judy Caplan Ginsburgh, Professional Singer
1999 Louisiana Professional Artist of the Year!
judy (at) jewishentertainment(dot)net     -    judy (at) judymusic(dot)com
 www.judymusic.com
Hot off the Press!  My Jewish World - a new early childhood music curriculum
http://uahc.org/cgi-bin/pressdisp.pl?list=301786
Director: Jewish Entertainment Resources - We Help You Find Jewish Talent!
www.jewishentertainment.net
Conference Chair, CAJE 23: www.caje.org
Member - Children's Music Network; www.cmnonline.org
Member - Women Cantor's Network; www.womencantors.net
"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on
both hands. You need to be able to throw something back."