Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 2593

hi from Spain, thanksfor all the comments re my question about Richard Fariña
and the Swallow SOng/Bilbilicos. Re what Mimi said about Spain, I doubt VERY
much he could have heard the tune there in Spain in 1963. It's not even
particularly popular NOW among Spanish singers of Sephardic music and in 1963
there WERE none . The spate of Spanish recordings of Sephardic songs hadn't
started. The synagoogues in madrid and Barcelona were hardly likely places for
Fariña to have hung out, (no, he was NOT Sephardic or any other ytype of
Jewish). And the song was certainly not circulating anywhere, despite any
romantic ideas Mimi Fariña or anyone else might have had about it being an old
Spanish song, which it never was! cheers, Judith